The Department of Tamil was established in the year 1950. It offers Part-I Tamil (Foundation Course) for all the U.G. students. Hence, it has around 900 students and the pass percentage is above 85 every year. Recently, the faculty of the department began guiding Part-time Ph.D. candidates. The department has a separate department library with nearly 600 books and the general library of the College has more than 2000 titles in Tamil language and literature for the students’ benefit. The department had the privilege of having eminent faculty members including the late Thiru. M.Rajamanickam. Their vision of academic growth and excellence of student community are still being promoted successfully by the existing lot of dedicated faculty members.
GOVT. AIDED / FORENOON
Telugu Department has been established in the year 1950 when the junior intermediate programme has commenced. The Department was headed by Prof. Thimmavajja Kothandaramaiah, B.O.L., followed by Prof. Bithrabhavannarayana. Later on, Telugu scholars, Prof. Dr. Gopichand, Prof. Dr. K.Gopalan and Prof. R.Logaiah Naidu had led the Department successfully for long. Currently, Dr. M.Munirathnam is heading the Department of Telugu, with much of enthusiasm, spirit, involvement and dedication.
The department of English was established in the year 1950. The department had the privilege of having some eminent faculty members including the late Prof. M.K.Shanmugam who headed the department as founder Principal of the college. His vision of academic growth and excellence of student community are still being carried forward by the existing dedicated faculty members successfully. The faculty members who are able and capable, render their services whole heartedly for the excellence of students in their studies.
Sir Theagaraya College was started in 1950 with the Intermediate courses. It became a First-Grade College in 1954. Affiliation to B.A. History came in the year 1956, under the Headship of Prof. Dhanushkoti Chetty. It was upgraded to a post Graduate Department in the academic year, 1981-1982 under the Headship of Prof. Leela Radhakrishnan. It was poised to become a research centre affiliated to the University of Madras in 2010, when Prof. Dr. D.Subramanya Raju was heading the Department. The Department has the honour of producing eminent personalities in various domains including law and justice, administration and politics.
The Department of Economics was started in the year 1954. Dr. V.Shanmugasundaram, former Vice-Chancellor, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University was the founder Head of the Department of Economics, succeeded by Prof. U.K.Menon (1958-1980). Under the able guidance of Prof. Dr. V.Loganathan, former Head of the Department (1980-1992), the Department became the Post Graduate Department in the Year 1980. The Department is around six decades old and it has been conducting P.G. Course for three decades.
The Department of Mathematics was started in the year 1954, when the college was turned into a first-grade College. The vision of the department is to establish it as a centre of excellence for learning Mathematics. Keeping in view the socio-economic background of large number of students, serious and sincere efforts are being taken to improve their leaning process. The highly qualified and experienced faculty members of the department provide a good mathematical foundation through quality teaching.
The Department of Physics was established in the year 1979. At the time of inception of the college, Physics was offered along with Chemistry and Mathematics. It has a students strength of 150. The Dept. has full-fledged, spacious and well ventilated Laboratory with all modern facilities. Here in this Dept., every effort is being made to impart value based quality education to its students.
The Department of Chemistry, Sir Theagaraya College, Chennai – 21, was established as early as 1950. The Department was headed by Prof. G.Venkateswarulu, when founded and it got upgraded in to a full-fledged one, in the year 1971, with the sole VISION of imparting value and quality education to its students with special emphasis on ethical values of human life. It offers CHEMISTRY main to over 150 students for whom Physics and Maths / Zoology form the allied subjects during their I and II years of studies respectively. The Department of Chemistry also offers ancillary subjects in Chemistry to around 225 students of disciplines such as Zoology, Botany, Physics and Mathematics .
The Department of Botany was established in the year 1979, under the Headship of Prof. Arunachalam, with Mr. Balakrishnan as demonstrator. They promoted love for plants and spirit of inquiry amongst students, which are still the highlights of this Department. Those who studied here, are now shaping the teaching of Botany in schools, colleges, and even in Universities.
The Department runs a need based regular B.Sc. degree course. The department is equipped with student and Research microscopes, UV-VIS spectrophotometer, Rotary shakers, Laminar flow chambers, herbarium, and a botanical garden for teaching and research.
The P.G. and Research Department of Zoology is an edifice with a glorious history written on its walls. Its script writer was an all time great teacher, researcher and administrator, Dr. G.Madan Mohan Rao. He was the founder Head of the Dept. of Natural Science, when the discipline of Life Sciences was introduced along with a host of other courses. Dr. G.Madan Mohan Rao, officiated as Principal, Sir Theagaraya College between the period, 1972 and 1975.
The Department of commerce was established during 1950-51. B.com. Degree course was introduced in the year 1970. Professor B.Chengalvarayan, founder H.O.D. was the chairman of the B.Com Board of studies for 25 years. The Department is consistently producing good results for the past 10 years. Many of its students are occupying high positions both in public and private sectors. Students do practice as consultants in the fields of accounts and taxation. Students of this department are also pursuing C.A and ICWA courses.