Sir Theagaraya College was started in 1950 with the Intermediate courses. It became a First-Grade College in 1954. Affiliation to B.A. History came in the year 1956, under the Headship of Prof. Dhanushkoti Chetty. It was upgraded to a post Graduate Department in the academic year, 1981-1982 under the Headship of Prof. Leela Radhakrishnan. It was poised to become a research centre affiliated to the University of Madras in 2010, when Prof. Dr. D.Subramanya Raju was heading the Department. The Department has the honour of producing eminent personalities in various domains including law and justice, administration and politics.
There exists six faculty members at present in the Department, which is being headed by Dr. G.Ravichandra Babu, also, the Head of the Institution. The faculty members have been diligently involved in academic work, besides participating in professional conferences and seminars. They have obtained and completed successfully, Minor and Major research Projects form the UGC. As a research Department, faculty members, evince interest in guiding research both at the M.Phil. and at Ph.D. levels. Series of publications at the National and International levels came forth from the faculty. Students of the Department even imbibe the research culture from the faculty, in addition to being extraordinary in their academics.