National Service Scheme (NSS)
National Service Scheme [NSS], under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, was launched in the Gandhiji’s Birth Centenary year 1969, in 37 Universities involving 40,000 students with primary focus on the development of personality of students through community service. Today, NSS has more than 3.2 million student volunteers. National Integration camps, Blood donation camps, Plantation, Immunisation health camps, Disaster management training and Adventure training programmes are a few of the major NSS activities being carried out by the NSS volunteers right through the year, in Educational Institutions across the country.
“Not Only Me But All“, is the motto of the NSS which stands for forgetting and surrendering the self and rendering selfless service to others. The objectives of the National Service Scheme is to help volunteers in understanding the communal and Social relationships, culture, heritage, needs of the needy, their problems and the ultimate solutions. It develops the volunteers with a great sense of social and civic responsibility.
Sir Theagaraya College has five units of NSS, with a total of 500 volunteers. With the aforesaid motto and objectives of NSS in mind and heart, the NSS units of this college, with required assistance, motivation and backing from programme officers, during the academic year 2016-2017 carried out the following activities:
- On 5th January 2017, NSS volunteers initiated ‘Campus cleaning programme‘ as the first step, starting from the NSS room and utensils. It has been extended till 12th January 2017, where various departments and blocks were cleaned by the volunteers.
- On 28th January 2017, the volunteers participated in the ‘Arivukkalanjiyam Youth Award 2017‘, organised by the NSS-MTS Academy.
- On 6th February 2017, volunteers did participate actively in the ‘Beach Cleaning Programme‘, conducted in Neelangarai beach seashore, by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- On 8th February 2017, a Social activist Mr. R.Balu from “Nallore Vattam“, an NGO gave an invited talk on ‘service to the poor‘ to the volunteers, which was well received and appreciated by the volunteers.
- Also, volunteers participated in the Inter-collegiate cultural competitions at the Presidency College on 25th February 2017.
- In addition, a ‘Road Safety Awareness rally‘ has been organised on the 21st of March 2017, towards creating an awareness among public on road safety.
- On the 22nd of March 2017, NSS programme officers attended the ‘Programme Officers Meeting’ at the University of Madras, where, Sir Theagaraya College has won the second price in the ‘National Young Leaders Programme award: 2016-2017’, carrying a cash prize of Rs. 30,000/- and a citation for its best performance.
RECENT N.S.S ACTIVITIES INCLUDING SPECIAL CAMP
The Principal inaugurating the observation of Swachhta Swachhta Pakhwara 01.08.2017 through oath taking
N.S.S Volunteers performing Mime on Social Awareness theme to the masses in the Vadakkunallur village
Sir Theagaraya College N.S.S. Units alongwith Vyasai Valiba Virutchangal In the Rally on cleanliness in a selected slum of Vyasarpadi. Mr. T. Prakash, Inspector, T5 Police Station, Chennai inaugurates the rally (09.08.2017).
Dr. P. Rajasimman, N.S.S. P.O, creating awareness on Hygiene and Sanitation to the public in Vyasarpadi on 10.08.2017.
“Games and Sports”, organized by the N.S.S to the Children in the adopted village.
Principal, Dr. G. Ravichandra Babu, appreciating N.S.S Volunteers after cleaning the premises of the College on 14.08.2017
Principal, Dr. G. RaviActor and SocialActivist Mr. Raja Krishnamoorthy, interacting with N.S.S volunteers at the Special Camp on 25.08.2017
Dr. K. Krishnasamy, Former Associate Professor, Department of History, Pachaiyappa’s College, Chennai, who delivered a Special Lecture on “Personality Development” to the N.S.S Volunteers on 20.08.2017, with the programme officers
Sir Theagaraya College N.S.S Units in the rally on “Cleanliness Awareness” on 11.08.2017
Inauguration of the Week long N.S.S Special Camp on 19.08.2017 at Vadakkunallur Village, Ponneri
Sensai. S. Rajasekar, III Don Black Belt, gives Martial Arts Training to the N.S.S volunteers during the N.S.S Special Camp on 22.08.2017
N.S.S. Volunteers cleaning the premises of Community Hall, Vadakkunallur Village during the N.S.S Special Camp on 21.08.2017
N.S.S Volunteers in some more action at the Special Camp
NSS-STC [Shifts I & II]