In this modern, computer and technology driven and picofast era, the world outside expects its young lot, particularly, the college students, to be wholesome, employable, abundant with information, self-reliant and self-confident, towards Nation building. The students should posses good habits and character, which are the building blocks of excellence. In this perspective, the college years are considered very crucial. The role of college education is not only to impart skills of any subject in the course of development, but the education which helps the students to become competent, complete and strong individuals. Here is where the libraries play a very significant role. It is the library, which is considered as the second classroom for students, since, it is only here, the students can cultivate Morals & can improve scientific and cultural qualities.
Sir Theagaraya College [Shifts I & II]
The “Sir Theagaraya College Central Library”, has the following primary objectives:
- To provide a supportive and stimulating environment for students and staff.
- To develop an awareness in students about the importance of referring books and other resources.
- To encourage students to become independent learners and develop positive attitude for life-long learning.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop their skills for enrichment of their personal lives.
To achieve the aforesaid objectives, the Autolib software supported Library of this college, in addition to being housed in an exclusive block, known as the “Library Block” with an attached “Smart Room”, has the following advanced additional facilities and performs the functions mentioned below:
- Library has Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC), an online database of materials in the library, an electronic version of card catalogue, which helps the students to search the books with accession numbers, title, author, publisher, subject, etc.
- N-LIST (National Library and Information Services Infrastructure) for scholarly content extending access to e-resources to colleges in India, an initiative of MHRD, funded by UGC and executed by UGCINFONET Digital Library Consortium, INFLIBNET Centre, which provides access to e-resources to students, faculty and researchers.
- The library has an exclusive ‘Research Wing section’ with the collection of Theses and Research Methodology books for the benefit of Research Scholars and P.G. Students.
- The library has a Reference desk / Information desk where professionals provide library users with direction to library materials, advice on library collections and service and expertise on multiple kinds of information from multiple sources.
- The library Periodicals Section has an extensive collection of Journals, Magazines and Newspapers which support the teaching and research programmes of the college.
Mrs. B.Srilakshmi, B.Com., M.L.I.S., M.Phil., PGDLAN